Faux Rice Couscous and Sushi!
I tried to make cauliflower rice sushi, and it was an epic fail. (see video below).
Thankfully, Ashleigh Kearely (who has lost all the baby weight using intermittent fasting & flexible dieting), came to my rescue and made a video tutorial to explain how to make cauliflower rice sushi! (see video below).
But my failed attempt was not a total loss because it helped me devise a new recipe! CAULIFLOWER COUSCOUS!
Combine the following into a bowl and serve:
- 2 cups of blended raw cauliflower florets (to mimic rice)
- Blend the cauliflower florets in a food processor or use a grater.
- 1 TBSP calorie free Bragg Soy Sauce alternative (or you could use low sodium chicken broth)
- 4 oz Shrimp
- 1 sheet of Nori Paper (rip it into tiny pieces)
- 1 cup of sliced cucumber
- Your favourite salt-free seasoning.
(for the entire couscous recipe)
calories: 156, fat: 2.1g, saturated fat: 0.7g, cholesterol: 206.7mg, sodium: 848.8mg, carbohydrates: 15.5g, fiber: 4.6g, NET CARBS: 10.9g, sugars: 5.7g, protein: 25.7g
=> Find detailed explanations about the ingredients I used in this recipe by clicking on my Ingredient Encyclopedia!
Cauliflower Sushi Recipes:
Presenting Ashleigh's masterpiece!
My epic fail: (it's hilarious):
Ashleigh's sushi success!
- sushi rolling equipment (recommended by Ashleigh). Watch her video below to learn how to use it.
Bonus! Miracle Rice Sushi!
I was curious to see if I would be able to get Miracle Rice to cooperate. It worked, thanks to Ashleigh's technique. Don't be fooled by my pretty picture. It was messy to make!
This recipe makes 2 rolls:
- Prepare the calorie free Miracle Rice as per package instructions. I find this too time consuming. I just place the miracle rice in a strainer and rinse it for a minute, then I place it in the microwave for a minute. BUT, before I toss it in the microwave, I add seasoning to give it flavour. If you want to just eat it as rice, I recommend adding calorie free Walden Farms alfredo pasta sauce to give it flavour. (see photo).
- Add half of the rice to 1 nori sheet.
- Add your favourite sushi ingredients. I used tuna and cucumber.
- Roll and slice into maki (as per Ashleigh's video instruction). I really struggled with this (it was messy!). If I did it again, I wouldn't bother slicing it. I'd just toss it all into a bowl like the couscous recipe.
(for 2 rolls)
calories: 80, fat: 2.1g, saturated fat: 0.7g, cholesterol: 26.6mg, sodium: 48.7mg, carbohydrates: 3.4g, fiber: 0.2g, NET CARBS: 3.2g, sugars: 0.5g, protein: 15.9g
White Rice, Brown Rice, Cauliflower Rice, Miracle Rice, Alfalfa Sprouts