Do not be tempted by sushi rolls that are loaded with white rice, mayonnaise, cream cheese, barbecue sauce and tempura. These extras calories wreak havoc on your waistline.
- slightly moisten a Nori sheet with a few splashes of water
- lay the sheet flat and place the following in a horizontal row (see photo):
- 2 oz smoked salmon
- 3 TBSP of finely sliced cucumber strips
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 1/4 of a cup of alfalfa sprouts
- garnish with hot chili pepper flakes
- roll the nori paper (moisten to seal it)
- let sit one minute before cutting into 6 maki pieces.
- note: I skip the soy sauce (because I don't like it!). 1 TBSP of soy sauce has about 1000mg of sodium! If you like soy sauce, then use a low sodium option or a calorie free/low sodium option, such as Bragg's Soy Sauce Alternative.
Smoked Salmon Facts:
- Smoked salmon has a high nutrient content; however, its high levels of sodium make it a delicacy that should be eaten in moderation
- A 4 ounce serving of smoked salmon contains 27 g of high-quality protein.
- It contains high amounts of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids
- Wild Alaskan smoked salmon has the lowest contamination risk (negligible mercury levels).
- Because the salmon is smoked, it may contain toxic substances called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which are known to increase the risk of cancer.
- High heat smoking creates more undesirable PAHs.
- Cold-smoked salmon (70-100F for at least 12 hours) contain less PAHs, but is typically preserved with carcinogenic nitrates or nitrites for a longer shelf-life.
- Smoked salmon is not as healthy as fresh or canned salmon. Nevertheless, most people who are in good health are able to benefit from smoked salmon because they have healthy detoxification systems that can process and eliminate the PAHs or preservatives found in smoked fish.
(for 1 roll = 6 maki)
- Calories: 199, fat: 13.6g, saturated fat: 2.1g, cholesterol: 51.5mg, sodium: 397mg, carbohydrates: 6.3g, fiber: 3.6g, net carbs: 2.7g, sugars: 0.7g, protein: 14.9g
Compare this to a conventional salmon/avocado/rice sushi roll in a restaurant:
- Calories: 330, fat: 7g, saturated fat: 1.5g, cholesterol: 20mg, sodium: 520mg, carbohydrates: 51g, fiber: 7g, net carbs: 44g, sugars: 7g, protein: 15g